Thursday, April 28, 2011

letter to the board

To whom it concerns,

I am writing this letter to inform you all why my husband and I are moving on to other ministry opportunities.  Over the past year I have been amazed at the harsh and unchristian behavior of the leadership of PBA.  Let me share some examples from my perspective. 
There seems to be a sick need for control over all aspects of our lives.  At our Floydada Kids Kamp, one of the staff from that camp asked if they would be allowed to fill up ice coolers with ice from the dining hall.  Michael then told her that our ice machine was broken and we had to go to town before every meal just to provide ice for our campers.  The truth was, if we filled up their coolers then we wouldn’t have enough ice for the campers and if she had simply been told that, she would have been very okay with that.  Why was there a need to lie?  I can’t figure it out myself.  Telling the truth is just so much easier and more acceptable.  In other instances where Michael tried to control Paul was when he froze all of the accounts in town.  We had campers on site but because he did that, we had to explain what was happening; we had to have the parts. How’s that for a Christian image?  Now local people became aware of what was going on down here.
I am very extreme in my beliefs and the abusive nature in which Michael responds to not only his wife but other staff members and their spouses as well, is not okay with me.  I’m not only referring to physical abuse but verbal and emotional abuse as well.  Numerous times he has called his own wife names and become very belligerent with her in front of staff.  He was so angry with me when the golf cart battery died that he reduced me to tears, yet when was asked why he was so angry, he denied ever getting upset with me, even though the full office staff was witness to this behavior.  Matthew 12:36 says “And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak.  The words you say will either acquit you or condemn you”.
My own children have been involved in the madness.  They have seen things go on here that they should have never seen.  My children watched a man get fired because he was wearing a sleeveless shirt in the dining hall.  Matthew 25:45 ‘And he will answer ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me”.  My older children were witness to the assault and the instances leading up to that.  My oldest daughter has encountered nightmares because she is scared to sleep in this house.  When you can’t feel safe inside your own home, and especially when your home is on a Christian camp, there is something wrong with that.  My kids feel like they have to walk on eggshells and be super cautious of Michael’s moods. 
Upon Paul’s resignation, he called several board members.  Before ending his call with every member, he asked if each one would pray with him.  Two members refused to pray with him.  I pray for the day when Christ is invited back to this camp because then I know a great work will be done.  Until the people on this board believe that it is not men that make up PBA, but Christ, ministry cannot be done.
In Christ,
Melissa Eckeberger

No comments:

Post a Comment